CSF Program Director - Africa (Consultancy)
In 2021, we will begin our efforts to grow our presence in Southern and Eastern Africa by seeking out opportunities to have impact on the ground through strategic engagement with partners, and the implementation of trainings and analyses in economics on sustainable livelihoods, conservation and development. We are looking for a professional with program development experience working on environmental and development issues, and someone who has the skills and experience to build a program from scratch. In addition, the candidate should have a strong familiarity with economic principles, tools, and methods. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a high level of energy, the ability to work independently, and a passion for building partnerships and programs.
This is a unique opportunity for a leader with an interest in environmental and sustainable issues to apply their skills in developing a program of work in Africa for Conservation Strategy Fund. We are offering a six-month full-time consultancy to start [hours per week are flexible], with the opportunity to transition to a long-term consultant or CSF staff member. We are looking for an individual who can use their existing network, and also leverage CSF’s alumni network, to seek out partnership opportunities, cultivate potential funders, and draft proposals. The candidate will report to the Executive Director and Lead Economist, and lead projects as they develop, which may also involve supervising economic analytical work and developing training opportunities.
This consultancy requires a detail-oriented and organized thinker with exceptionally good written and verbal communication skills, and someone who can juggle multiple, competing priorities. The ideal candidate will have broad experience with applied economic analysis targeted to address environmental challenges that are considered major threats to Africa’s unique natural resources and biodiversity, and the communities that are so closely tied to Africa’s landscape. The consultancy is expected to be full-time, but provides an opportunity for a flexible work environment and an active voice in the vision of a focused, dedicated, and fun organization.
- Vision: Assist in the design of a program in Africa to leverage CSF’s experience in analyses and capacity building to stakeholders.
- Program Development: Seek opportunities to use economics in policy analysis and capacity building to achieve conservation and sustainable development goals, including through the design of analyses and trainings to deliver policy-relevant information, and create a cadre of professionals in government and civil society literate in conservation economics.
- Project management: As needed, lead projects in Africa, which will require managing other consultants and overseeing analytical work and capacity building efforts.
- Fundraising and external relationships: In Africa, represent CSF at external meetings, serve as lead point of contact for relevant partners and funders, provide technical input to proposals, and work closely with the Executive Director on business development, including presentations to potential funders and clients.
- Teaching: Participate as a dynamic and engaging instructor in our training programs.
- Advanced degree in natural resource economics, public policy with a quantitative focus or related. Demonstrated passion and experience in the field of natural resources, environment, or sustainable development.
- Relevant experience in developing and implementing capacity building programs, such as courses and workshops.
- 7+ years of experience working in Africa and applying economics to environment and development issues, including working directly with policy makers, the private sector, academia, NGOs, and other stakeholders.
- Passion and commitment to nature conservation and sustainable development.
- A strong network of contacts in government, academia and the NGO environment in Africa.
- Profound knowledge of cultural contexts and issues related to the environment, economic growth and sustainable development in various regions of Africa.
- Successful track record of writing technical proposals.
- Engaging and effective public speaker to various audiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and taking on new problems.
- Skills and experience navigating processes with partners and clients to define and target research to drive policy and behavior change.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities.
- Ability to fluently speak and write in English.
- Position could be as little as 75% time, depending on circumstances.
- Preferred location: Southern or Southeastern Africa.
Please send cover letter and CV to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Those who are accepted to the next round will be notified.
Conservation Strategy Fund (CSF) is an international non-profit organization that uses economics to support environmental conservation and sustainable development. We conduct rigorous economic analyses of infrastructure, protected areas, conservation incentive programs, and related issues, deliver a world-class capacity building program, and work closely with governments, NGOs, and other stakeholders to support well-informed decision making. We focus on Latin America and Indonesia with an evolving body of work in Africa, and have offices in Peru, Brazil, Bolivia, Indonesia, and the United States. For more information, visit our website at www.conservation-strategy.org.